Need some color right now? Unless you are fortunate enough to live where it is sunny, you might need to step away from the gray and bring in some color of your own!
For $8, plus supplies you probably already have on hand, you can use masks to create bright and happy backgrounds that make a statement. It is SO! MUCH! FUN! to play with masks and colors. (Honestly, you can even use die-cuts as a very viable alternative. But really, for $8 why not just get the masks?!) Let’s get started!
Today, I will focus on the simplest version. Here we use one mask, one color, and modest tools and embellishments.
Card Base Highland Heather 8 ½” x 5 ½”, Score at 4 ¼”
Card Inside Basic White 4” x 5 ¼”
Layer 1 Basic White 4” x 5 ¼”
Layer 2 Basic White 3 ¾” x 5”
Die-Cut Basic White label fromTasteful Labels dies (~ 3 ½” x 2”)
Die-Cut snowflake from Ombre Specialty Paper (purple) (~ 1” x 2’)
- Cut Card Base Highland Heather 8 ½” x 5 ½”, Score at 4 ¼”
- Cut Card Inside Basic White 4” x 5 ¼”
- Cut Layer 1 Basic White 4” x 5 ¼”
- Cut Layer 2 Basic White 3 ¾” x 5”
- Die-Cut Basic White label from Tasteful Labels dies (~ 3 ½” x 2”)
- Die-Cut snowflake from Ombre Specialty Paper (purple) (~ 1” x 2’)
- Line up Plenty of Patterns Mask (medallion pattern) straight on top of Layer 2 Basic White panel.
- Use Blending Brush to apply Highland Heather color in an even motion across the surface.
Tips: Use stamping grid paper to make sure your lines are straight. Secure mask to your working surface with Purple Tape (or Washi Tape). Make sure you don’t put tape on the card stock where you will be applying color. Don’t press the brush too hard, because you don’t want the mask to buckle and you don’t want ink to smear under the mask. Practice a few times if you need to. The colors will vary each time – that is all part of the fun!
This next step is the most important step!!
- Lift the mask and admire. Ooooh. Ahhhh!!
Reminder: You may need to do a couple practice runs before you get a crisp clean version that you like. It’s ok – experiment, learn and play!
- Assemble card. Adhere Basic White Layer 1 to Highland Heather card base with liquid glue. Adhere decorated Layer 2 to card front with liquid glue.
- Stamp happy in Misty Moonlight on label. Stamp BIRTHDAY in Highland Heather. Adhere sentiment to card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Optional steps to take things up a notch: Adhere die-cut snowflake to label with Mini-Glue Dots. Tie a little bow and adhere to center of snowflake with Mini Glue Dots. Sprinkle on the pastel pearls. Decorate the inside and envelope as desired.
Once you have mastered one-color masking, there are a number of directions you can take things from here. You can easily create an ombre effect (going from light to dark). You can create a rainbow effect. You can add patterned die-cuts from specialty paper that tie the whole sketch together. You can combine these ideas, and add your own. (This doesn’t even yet open the door on using a heat embossing tool!)
- Join the free online zoom class, or watch the replay.
- Get the mask set
- Get the PDF with detailed instructions and close-up photos for all four cards. BONUS: The PDF includes detailed instructions for taping down the mask, as well as one alternative project where you “Make Your Own Mask” from the Brilliant Wings dies.
- Get the fully assembled four-pack of Handmade Cards
- As a team member, get the December team kit for a limited time only at the team price. (As a team member, you also get all of my Stampin’ PDFs free)
- As a customer, get the kit – and instructional PDF – FREE with minimal purchase.
- Minimum $35 purchase to earn the free kit (including FREE SHIPPING)
- Minimum $50 purchase to earn the free kit, plus a pack of Pastel Pearls
- Use either this link, or the supplies links below to shop with me.
- Must use HOST CODE: 92Y6QTT9
- Close out order before December 20th
- Get the supplies by using the links below. Use HOST CODE 92Y6QTT9 before December 20th